Re: Distributors...An explaination

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Distributors...An explaination
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 17:40:19 -0700
on 4/27/01 6:35 PM, Chad Cooper at mgb72@airmail.net wrote:

> Max Heim wrote:
>
>> OK, I'll bite... what's the "point" of buying a dual point distributor if
>> you immediately replace the points with an optical trigger?
>>

> Well for whatever reason. Lack of attention, worn bushings, whatever.  My
> single point lucas failed
> more than once.  So I ask you this: Why would you go from one set of points to
> 2?

Well, I think that's a very good question. As I understand it, it is an
attempt to make up for the mechanical deficiencies of points in general.
Just as in an engine at high RPM you can get "valve float", when the valve
springs are not strong enough to return the valves to the closed position
quickly enough, at high RPM in a points distributor you can get "points
bounce", where the points spring can't keep the the rubbing block against
the cam, and you can't maintain your dwell setting. The dual point
distributor staggers the points opening and closing, in order to maintain
the dwell even if one or the other set of points isn't dead on every time.

So, if this is the purpose of a dual points distributor, then eliminating
the points eliminates the rationale for this particular distributor, if you
follow my reasoning.

But that doesn't mean it's not an improvement. My argument was merely that
it would be "more efficient" to start with a single point distributor, if
you were going to toss the points anyway. But by starting with a new, high
quality distributor, you were able to achieve the performance you wanted, so
that's your bottom line.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149