Re: Got Spark!

To: mrazor@mis.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Got Spark!
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 14:42:06 EDT
In a message dated 5/2/01 1:26:09 PM Eastern Daylight Time, mrazor@mis.net
writes:

> Got the TD back in the garage and while running I took a
> pair of pliers and pulled the #1 plug wire off, no change in the way
> the car idled, put it up to the block and got spark and a small shock
> to me.  Same drill on #2 plug wire with same results.  Went to #3 and
> #4 did the same thing and the engine about died out when I pulled the
> #3 plug wire and then the #4 plug wire.
> Should I move over to the carb side now?  And see if they are not
> getting fuel.   We did replace a seal in the front carbs with a jury
> rigged seal to replace the one that was leaking.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Have you done a compression test to eliminate the possibility of a valve that
is not closing completely?  If you have spark and even compression, it may be
a fuel problem.  After you run the engine, take out #1 and #2 plugs and see
if they are fuel soaked.

Keep in mind that a weak spark on those two cylinders may not fire the fuel
mixture.  It could still be a spark problem.  You said that you touched the
plug wire to the block and got a spark.  If the plug is oil soaked and has a
gap that is too wide, it will not spark.  I just fixed a FF race car with
this problem at the last autocross.  The owner didn't have extra plugs, but a
strong cleaning with a wire brush and setting the gap got him running.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport