RE: Translating those Haynes shop manuals:

Subject: RE: Translating those Haynes shop manuals:
From: "Mark Dawson" <torchbone@bright.net>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 10:08:47 -0400
Ah, these translations would have helped greatly in my recent brake job.
Here's the rant I had written, delete now if you don't like whining:

I'm a tad frustrated. When I spend hours trying to understand my manuals and
catalogue diagrams (I have Haynes, Lindsay's Restoration Guide, The MGB
Survival Handbook, University Motors Technical Book, Moss, Victoria British
Catalogues, the MGS Archive, Barney's web site, other listers' web sites)
and NONE of them mention evidently basic things like repacking the bearings
when changing brake rotors. Or even how to remove the old rotor.

The diagrams in the catalogues (I've photocopied the relevant pages from
Moss, VicBrit, Haynes so I can compare side by side) all show the bolts that
hold the rotor and hub together, but just lying in the diagram somewhere,
and FACING THE WRONG WAY. Is that really what I'm looking at on my car? Mine
face the other way... So how am I, who have never done this job before, and
who thinks the catalogue diagrams are simply wonderful and *correct*,
supposed to tell if they are really bolts on my car or studs, and therefore
if I need to get to the head to hold it still?

Haynes reads something like: remove the four bolts and remove the rotor.
Nothing, I believe, about removing the caliper or hub first. A call to Mr.
Twist in Michigan got me off on a better start (just at $.25/minute). Then I
have embarrassing sessions like this at the parts store:

Mechanic/Salesman/Friend: "You'll need this bearing seal, too"
Me: "Why?"
Him: "You probably damaged the old one when you pulled it out."
Me: "I didn't pull it out, it fell out."
Him: <with look of terror in his eyes, as he realises he shares the road
with me and my self-repaired MG> "Uh, then you definitely need new seals."

I had simply intended to put it all back the exact way it came apart
(Haynes: "Reassembly is the reverse of the above process"), without anything
like new seals, packing the bearings, checking the run out (how does one do
that, anyhow???), etc. I know I have to do all this now, but if I had just
read all the manuals and books I have, I probably would have ruined my
bearings/ hubs/ brakes/ spindles, and possibly killed myself or others.

How many books do I have to buy, and what kind of in depth analysis and
truth-finding do I have to do to know what is right and what is
less-than-complete? I know all of this comes from "experience", but I have
to live long enough to gain experience. I can see the headline now:

"DIY MG owner careens off cliff. Brake failure due to ignorant repair job
suspected."

-Mark
- Topless Smurf ('75 MGB):
http://www.bones.org/torch/photos/mgb/mark_mgb_1.html
Mark Dawson
Manager
The Roundtown Cafi      http://www.roundtowncafe.com
Personal Web Page       http://www.bones.org/torch/

        234 N. Court St., Circleville, Ohio, 43113
                   740-474-8666

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list