Waxoil and Paint

To: "MG" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Waxoil and Paint
From: "Ken Waringa" <kwaringa@dynsys.com>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 13:32:19 -0500
As I progress with the restoration of my 74 MGB, I've got a couple questions
for the wisdom of the list.

The first is opinions about waxoil.  I talked to a very knowledgeable MG
person recently and he swore by waxoil.  However, all his cars had undergone
total restoration and sill (rocker panels) replacements.  What are the
opinions of a car that is not getting the sills replaced.  If I coat the
insides with the waxoil will it seal what rust that may be present on the
inside and force it through the panel quicker?  Or will it reduce the
effects of the rust, or future rust.  I think I'd be dreaming to imagine
there is no rust inside the sills, even though it isn't coming through at
all.  Just trying to decide if I want to waxoil all the concealed places
before I start the body work.  I have both front fenders off, so the inside
lower portion of them is going to be painted with POR15 before I reinstall
them.  I know I can't stop the rust, but I sure would like to slow it down
as much as possible.

Now for the paint question, I know there have been many discussions on which
type of paint is best for the home paint job, but which brand do you find
works and lasts best?  Hopefully within the next couple weeks I'll have the
floor pan replaced and be starting on the body work.  While not much is
needed, I want to use a primer by the same manufacturer as the paint I'm
going to use.  This car is going to be my wife's and she wants a red car
with a black interior, so, this car will be a red car with a black interior.
I think Tartan Red will be the color (My wife is from Scotland, so she liked
the idea of Tartan Red).  What brand of paint should I use.  I used Sherwin
Williams (it was inexpensive) on my son's 79 B and it came out ok, but not
great.  By the way, his was the first car I ever painted, so I'm definitely
an inexperienced amateur at this.

I know asking for opinions will get me a variety of answers, but any advise
is welcome to help me gain knowledge to make my decisions.

TIA

Ken Waringa

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list