MGB convertible top frame fitting

To: "MG Digest" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: MGB convertible top frame fitting
From: "N" <twobees@sprynet.com>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2001 23:01:41 -0400
Paul Booth wants to switch from the 2-piece frame packaway top to the
scissor type.

Since I have never had a B with the scissor frame, I can only go by what
people have said about it - nothing good.

However, I have had two B's with the packaway frame & one '80 B with the
"modern" fold back top.  Frankly, I will take the 2-piece packaway type
every time.  Not only does it come down in less time, but it also allows me
to use the convertible top WITH a race-legal roll bar welded in place.

Now, for many of you a roll bar isn't a consideration. But I still have
vivid memories of the MGB I helped turn up onto its side one Friday night in
Vermont.  The driver was trapped under the upside down car (It's not just
SUV's that roll over.)  The windshield frame did not keep the car body high
enough for us to see the driver.  We got it up on one side.  The unconscious
driver was eventually taken away by an ambulance.  I have no idea if he
survived, or if he did if he was paralyzed.

Since that night, I have used roll bars in open cars.

Since I race my MGB, I needed one high enough to meet the SCCA regs that
SVRA uses.  Only the 2-piece top frame will allow a legal bar.  Mine fits
nicely between the 2 rear frame pieces and the corners cause small bulges in
the top.  But it is a good system.

And, since I use the B daily, and like the convenience of the tonneau cover,
I had an upholstery shop do some tailoring to allow velcro-secured closures
around the hoop and rear braces.  And, a bound hole for the rear diagonal
brace.  That means one needs to unbolt the top of the diagonal to slip the
tonneau on.  An effective theft prevention device.

If anyone is interested in duplicating this system, I can take some photos &
make them available.

Bottom line?  I'll take the 2-piece frame thanks.

Norm Sippel
'66 MGB

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list