Re: 77 B Overheating or Gauge Malfunction

To: FlynShoot@aol.com, mg list <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 77 B Overheating or Gauge Malfunction
From: "M. Frankford" <martin@virtual-motors.com>
Date: Mon, 07 May 2001 16:09:07 -0500
I had a similar problem with my Riley One-Point-Five. I took a meat thermometer
and put it in the radiator. I started the car and let it warm up. I could
compare
the guage with the actual temp. The guage was correct. I took the new thermostat
and put it in a pan of water. I monitored the temp and watch to my amazement the
thermostat didnt open fully. New didn't imply it works in my case.

FlynShoot@aol.com wrote:

> I have a '77 B with a new engine. I replaced the radiator w/a unit that has
> been pressure and flow tested. The sensor for the fan was covered and solder
> closed. I put in a 165 degree thermostat. The sensor in the thermostat
> housing has been replaced. There is a Hayden electric fan that runs
> constantly as long as the ignition is on. I installed an oil cooler also. The
> radiator cap is new, water wetter and a 50/50 coolant mix is on board. Air
> temperature outside today is about 72 degrees. Timing appears to be dead on.
> I had a similar problem with the old engine.
>
> The problem that I am having is that my temerature guage slowly climbs to
> near the red portion. It has not reached the red, but is too close for
> comfort. I am concerned because I don't want to hurt the new engine. Does
> anyone have any clues?
>
> Thanx.
>
> DCS

///