Re: 77 B Overheating or Gauge Malfunction

To: FlynShoot@aol.com
Subject: Re: 77 B Overheating or Gauge Malfunction
From: Bud Krueger <bkrueger@ici.net>
Date: Tue, 08 May 2001 19:32:07 -0400
Let me try this:

I have a '77B with a newly rebuilt engine.  I replaced the radiator with a new
one from Moss' recent sale.  I installed a new thermostatic fan switch and
installed a 180 degree thermostat along with a new temperature sending unit.  I
have two standard cooling fans connected through the thermostatic fan switch.  I
have a new radiator cap (15 psi) and run with a 50/50 mix of Prestone and water.

     Normal highway cruising finds the temperature gauge at just below
mid-scale,
where the thermostat sets it.  When bogged down in stop-and-go traffic,
including
last week's 90 degree days, the temperature gauge goes up to within about two
needle widths of the red zone and then the fans kick in and prevent it from
going
any higher.

    I guess we have two classic examples of YMMV.

--
Bud Krueger
http://home.ici.net/~bkrueger/

///