Re: Tyres (Again) - There is NO debate!

To: "Jerry Erbesfield" <jerbesfield@mediaone.net>,
Subject: Re: Tyres (Again) - There is NO debate!
From: "David Hill" <Davhill@btinternet.com>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 16:13:55 +0100
Hi, Jerry,

> Each to his own. I still don't see ANY "debate" here though. Discussion,
> yes - Debate - No. There is a lot of FACTUAL information posted both ways
in
> these messages. In your original post, you were asking for help/advice. I
> gave it to you, from my actual experience.

And it is much appreciated. Thank you.

> In addition to loving MG's, I also am an old American muscle car
hotrodder,
> that also spent 27 years working in the automobile dealership business one
> half in the back end (mechanic and service manager) and then the other
half
> of the time in the front end (sales, finance, leasing and management). My
> opinions are formed from years of hands-on experiences.

As are mine, from having owned and worked on 60-odd cars since 1970, plus
many many others for friends and casual customers and having been a Motoring
Journalist for 16 years, writing about every type of car from Ferraris to
'30s Chevs.

> Less than 5 percet difference in tire circumference is really "nuthin" on
> street rod, to put it in southern vernacular. My B is a "street rod" (of
the
> era).

Novel way of describing it. I'd call mine a 'fast road' car.

> I don't see you and I having much to debate here at all. We are not
> comparing opinions on the same thing. This is NOT an apples to apples
> discussion - and you agree with me on the hard/soft tire thing.

Quite so. How about calling it an exchange of informed opinion?

> I also have a special interest in and have owned several various
Volkswagen
> products, most being equipped with Continentals. And, I totally agree with
> you. They ARE quite a bit a firmer, harder rubber tire in general. THAT,
in
> conjunction with more rubber in contact with the road, is probably much of
> what you are experiencing with your ride and handling situation, not the
> other ingredients of our "discussion".

Agreed.

> In addition to everything else I said, the BF Goodrich Radial TA tire has
> high performance name and reputation here in the US. Also, the larger
> tire/wheel combo fills up the wheel-wells real good, giving the car a
really
> aggressive look, that fits with my "muscle car/hot rod" background. That
is
> the main thing that I was looking for in a set of tires when I bought the
> Radial TA's. The good ride and handling and everything else positive that
> have mentioned just came as an extra bonus.

In my view-which is utterly subjective, my B also looks silly on the
185/60s. The good news is that they are nearly new and I knew the car when I
bought it. So, I can use the tyres on my Wash 'n' Go car-a Rover 416, which
just happens to be on-guess what?

> I really NEED a 60's era American hot rod to completely fill my desires!!!
> However, I only have time and space for the B, and the B is even more
> important to me so I guess it'll just have to do. I have started thinking
> about "supercharging" the B to fill my "hot rod" needs. I've looked into
it
> quite a bit. Paxton made a unit for the MG (that I understand produces
> approx. 180 HP on a solid engine) while it was in production. Paxton units
> are still available - and would be in keeping with keeping my car
"improved
> of the era".

I did a test in the late '80s on a TVR 350 (Rover V8 i.e. Buick, engine)
fitted with a Sprintex Supercharger, developed for the application by Drag
man Dennis Priddle. This was a screw-type blower, not vane and was *very*
efficient.

> I would love nothing better than to "blow away" those pesky Miata's at the
> stoplights!!!!

Will they be about in 28 years?

> You're from the UK, huh? The Internet sure has made the world a lot
smaller
> now. The wonders of computers!!!

Yep. York.

> Nice corresponding with you!