Re: WOOHOOOOOOO EX257 is on the track!

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: WOOHOOOOOOO EX257 is on the track!
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 11:13:41 EDT
I feel like the Grinch again, but the Le Mans efforts really have nothing to
do with our MGs. The company died, they revived the name, they stick it on a
race car, and expect everyone with a TC to go all limp at the thought? Please!

It reminds me of the guys that bought the right to use the Jensen name trying
to associate themselves with past models made before the company died (why,
you ask - sales, he answers). Or the 'new' Bugatti.

Don't you guys feel just a bit 'used' when you deliver the correct Pavlovian
response when someone says the magic initials, or pastes them on a car
totally unrelated to the ones we own, know and love?  Makes as much sense as
calling Ralph's Indy car - the 'Liquid Suspension Special' an MG.

There is something that we do enjoy about our MGs. It may be an almost
indefinable je ne sais quoi, but we owners generally can tell that there is
an 'MGness' about our cars that isn't there on a Triumph, for instance. To
reduce that to a knee-jerk reaction when the mantra is repeated (look into my
eyes and repeat after me - MG, MG, MG......) somehow demeans the hobby, IMHO.

Bill S.
(rant mode off)

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list