Re: 308GTB pictures

To: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Subject: Re: 308GTB pictures
From: "R. O. Lindsay" <rolindsay@dgrc.com>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 10:25:20 -0500
Hi Eric,
   I hope this note and my reply are not too far off topic
as they involve the track performance of your quite respectable
MGB!

Eric wrote:

> >  http://www.aubard.com/SideLo1.jpg
>
> That is one spunkrat of a vehicle!  Can you make me one up too?

   Yep, start sending cash. :-)  "Spunkrat" is a term I have never
heard -- and I love it!

> our local Ferrari Club hit my local track again last week and my
> boss in his little old 308 GTS was grinning again at his equal
>  fastest time (alongside a 305).
> ...snip...
> Hey, remember, an MG driver coached him around this track :-)

:-)  Racing is NOT just about power, as you have demonstrated.
:-)

> ...snip...
> Yes, 7 seconds is a long time, but a 4 cylinder, 1800cc,
>  33 year old MGB versus a Ferrari?

   My 308GTB is 22 years old, V8 and 3000cc -- and 255bhp
at 7700rpm.
   Where the big difference would come is if the circuit had
long straights or long sweeping turns.  That's where the
Ferrari shines.  I would not be surprised if you could kick it's
butt all over the track in an autocross.  The car is just too
massive to be competitive at that.

> The tight little track is definitely a handful for the rather heavier
> Ferrari and it takes a good setup and a skilful driver to get the best
> out of a beast like that around Mallala!

   See above. :-)

   Thanks for the nice note and congratulations on the super
lap times!

--
Rick Lindsay
Diamond Geoscience Research