Re: MGB Oil Filter

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MGB Oil Filter
From: "Fred Bassett" <fredbass@pacific.net.id>
Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 08:44:50 +0700
And when I was a boy an "old-timer" told me I had to change the air in the
tires
when the seasons change to prevent dry rot. Now I enjoy passing on that
"wisdom"
to the boys of today...LOL...

> when i was a kid i had an "old-timer" tell me the way to make an engine
> last "forever" was to add an electric oil pump, turn it on and wait until
> the oil pressure was up and THEN start the car..
>
> anyone here every try that?

Yes, but when I was a kid............   Actually, there is a system for heavy
equipment that works quite well.  An auxiliary oil pump is mounted on the end
of the starter motor.  When you initially crank the engine, the starter motor
turns without engaging the bendix drive, turning the oil pump and
pre-lubricating the engine.  After this pre-lube, you then crank the engine
normally.  And yes, I do believe this would extend the life of the engine.
Probably more important is keeping contaminants out of the lubrication system
through regular oil and filter changes, and being very careful to avoid
introducing contaminants during any service operation including adding oil.

All the best,

Fred C. Bassett, Jakarta

1976 MGB in waiting
1963 Sprite, also in waiting