renewing the turnsignal flasher on a RBB

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: renewing the turnsignal flasher on a RBB
From: Bill Saidel <saidel@camden.rutgers.edu>
Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 08:57:04 -0400 (EDT)
I had a wierd problem with my turnsignals. They flashed about 1/10s so I
purchased an OEM replacement flasher relay from my 'local' LBC dealer.
With the new flasher, the turnsignals flashed about 10/s but all bulbs
were good. I inquired of the list and was told by one well known lister
'grounds!'.

Since I could not find the appropriate ground, I privately inquired of the
inestimable Paul Hunt what might be the problem. (I know expertise when I
see it!) He sent such a learned message that I felt I should try
everything. To my simple car mind, the first thing I tried was to again
replace the flasher unit from a non-OEM store, Pep Boys, since in my
car ignorance, a flasher unit is just a fancy capacitor, is it not? So I
bought the $1.98 replacement and the turnsignals immediately worked fine.
There was no problem in the Lucas circuitry. (A hearty yea.)

So what did I learn?  I'm not sure, but one thing is for certain, after 25
years in a car, if a circuit still is intact, even a Lucas circuit, it
will still work.

Bill
'76B

///