painting RB of a RBB

To: "MG Digest" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: painting RB of a RBB
From: "N" <twobees@sprynet.com>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 19:16:17 -0400
SAVE THIS FOR REFERENCE!!!!

I painted the RB's on my '80 Carmine Red B.  It was a pretty simple process.
My experience prior to doing the B was on a 1987 VW Jetta.  I did the
plastic bumpers & wheel arches in body color.  I used the same process as
VWoA did on one of their show cars.  It came out so well & lasted so long, I
decided to do the same on my B.

You can see the results on the Connecticut MG Club web site.  There is a
head-on shot ( HTTP://www.homestead.com/mgclub/files/photoX.htm ) and a
distant shot with my '66 B and a friend's '67
 HTTP://www.homestead.com/mgclub/files/photoX1.htm ).  BTW, the sheets of
plywood can be replaced with a windsurfer or Sunfish when necessary.

Here's the step-by-step method of doing it.  (For perfect results, remove
both bumpers & de-rust the metal parts, sealing them in rust-preventing
paint.  I left mine on.)
1- Cut off any loose chunks of rubber that have resulted from bumps using a
fine point X-acto knife.  Ensure that there are good "gripping" surfaces for
filler in any dings like these.  Clean with wax & grease remover.  Fill the
resulting craters with a product like 3M's "P.R.O. Fill E-Z Sand."

2- Thoroughly sand the bumper surfaces to be painted with a dry medium grit
sandpaper.  Remember you want to have lots of "gripping" surfaces.  Clean
with wax & grease remover after sanding and wiping off rubber & sand dust.

3- Spray with a Flexible Primer Surfacer.  I used SEM's product.  Follow
directions.  Let dry & wet sand with 320 wet & dry paper if too much "orange
peel" or 400 if smooth .

4- Ensure you have a good primer finish.  Touchup if necessary.  Prep for
final paint.

5- Use a urethane paint (Remember, urethane is a form of plastic & is
relatively flexible) and paint as you would paint metal.

If you need any more detailed advice, your local automotive paint shop can
help.

Good luck & enjoy the more modern look.

Norm Sippel
'66 MGB