Re: Sebring MGC (?)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Sebring MGC (?)
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 15:16:41 EDT
In a message dated 22/05/01 11:43:47 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-mgs-digest@autox.team.net writes:

> It's uniqueness will I hope, allow it to be
> eligible for vintage race inclusion despite the controversy of it's
> creation.

And I would hope not, at least not if it wouldn't be eligible as a regular
MGC of that year.

Most vintage racing organisations are pretty careful not to allow recreations
of real cars to run, no matter how elaborate (there is no prize for being the
best or most affluent cheater).  If the car were eligible on its own merits,
it would probably be without the flares, big wheels, etc.  After all, why
should the owner of this particular car be able to run with things that no
other MGC owner could run? It either is, or it isn't authentic.

Neat, maybe, although I am a bit surprised at the veneration afforded
anything that was done by the factory, whether successful or not. If you were
going racing with an MGC it would make no sense at all to use the heavier GT
chassis instead of the convertible (I didn't say 'roadster' because they
weren't), except that in the case of these cars, they were intended to run
endurance events where weight and lap speed wasn't the first priority.  I
have never seen an MGB GT that wasn't beaten by an equally well prepared
convert in regular (read 'sprint') racing.

Do I like the MGA Coupes that ran at Sebring? Sure - nice bit of history.
Would I build a relica to go racing? Not unless my prime interest was
nostalgia, rather than racing!

To each his own, I guess.

We've seen the fake race cars before in many makes - Ferrari, Corvette, but
not much in the modestly valued MG realm. Guess we are rising in the world ;-)

Bill S.

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list