Re: Strange Spark Plug

To: "Ken Waringa" <kwaringa@dynsys.com>, "MG" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Strange Spark Plug
From: <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 21:02:32 +0100
Found some interesting stuff:

Early in 1921 one Kennelm Lee Guinness (of the famous brewing family and
inventor of the K.L.G. spark plug) got an already ageing big black and white
V-12 Sunbeam to perform at its best and was timed down the Brooklands
Railway Straight at 135 mph, entering the finishing straight at 140 mph.

During practice on the 16th May 1922 KLG was timed by friends on the Railway
Straight at 144 mph and on the following day in windy conditions he clocked
an official 140.51 mph one way to take a new Brooklands lap record of 123.39
mph along with several other speed records over various distances. His
official 137.15 mph flying kilometre record was to stand unbeaten for
another seven years.

This was the car subsequently bought by Malcolm Campbell for a bargain price
which has never been disclosed, which after a refurbishment he named
Bluebird.

A rare case where drink and driving sat well together.  Full story at
http://www.brooklandstrack.co.uk/Drivrlist/campbell.htm

PaulH.