Re: Steering Wheels...

To: <Ajhsys@aol.com>, <ATWEDITOR@aol.com>, <AGreenberg@aol.com>,
Subject: Re: Steering Wheels...
From: "Eddie Sheffield" <esheffield@prizmail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 12:11:04 -0400
I just put a Grant wheel on my Midget about a week ago. Specifically, the
714 which is a 14", 3 spoke Mahogany wheel. Got it on ebay as a "blemished"
model for $76 (+$10 S&H)(vs $145 + S&H at
http://www.exoticwooddash.com/gw714.htm).  Unfortunately the Midget requires
the Euro-style adapter which is more expensive than the US ones - 37.99 (+
$4.91) at http://www.partsamerica.com which is the online store for Advance
Auto and a couple of others. Anyway, I'm very pleased with it. Not only can
I not find the blemish but I really like the fit, feel, and appearance of
it. The dish measurement given with the wheel description (3") is basically
meaningless on a Midget. The wheel by itself has very little dish at all -
the 3" includes the "styling sleeve" which is removed for the Midget
mounting. It is replaced by the Euro adapter which is a little bit longer
than that. As compared to the original wheel, it does stick out a bit
farther - maybe 1" - 1 1/2" inches. It is a little bit more of a reach to
the turn signal and wiper switches, esp. if the lever is in the high-beam
position. I didn't notice any difference in getting in and out of the car,
and I'm about average size - 5'8", 205 lb (OK, so the gov't considers that
"obese". Hmph.) Had a LOT more trouble in my dad's '86 Reliant - wheel
rubbed my legs, and there was no tilt adjustment.

FWIW, YMMV,

Eddie
1971 Midget