Re: MGC Sebring Car / Fraud

To: "Kai M. Radicke" <kmr@pil.net>, "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MGC Sebring Car / Fraud
From: Carl W French <cfrench@cybertours.com>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 13:26:14 -0400
>  How about that
>this isn't the first time Derek Durst has been found to be in a compromising
>position with a supposed real MG Competition Car which he was trying to sell
>or was an agent for at the time.

Kai, I really respect the amount of time and effort you have put into this
issue. That being said I think the above statement seems more like heresay
and does not belong in your argument.

>Should they fail, eBay will be alerted of their fraudulent activities... as
>(currently) someone is entered into a contract for $17,875.75 for a car that
>isn't anything as such they describe.

They are clear enough I think in stating More than once that they BELIEVE
this car to be authentic. Maybe they are wrong, you make a substantial case
that they are. But in looking at the auction I do not (as a non-lawyer)
think they have committed fraud, especially if Mr Giordano truly believes
he has the real thing. If someone has real interest in the car they
communicate with the seller for more information. Expecting the seller to
post all of the evidence on the auction is unrealistic.

I like how John Elwood and Kelvin Dodd have looked at this issue. If this
car is not real is a very ,very good replica. The value of this car is very
high for that reason alone. When a 1965 B in condition 2 with many engine
bay modifications sells for over 16K this Spring I think they are not
criminal in asking over 20K for this car.

Carl French

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list