RE: MGB fan, plastic or metal?

To: "'Larry Hoy'" <larryhoy@prodigy.net>,
Subject: RE: MGB fan, plastic or metal?
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 08:52:15 -0700
> Subject: RE: MGB fan, plastic or metal?
>

> OK Charley so I look at the Moss catalog, and it says the
> spacer is for the GT.
> Interesting.
>
> I have two plastic fans each came off roadsters, no spacer.
> By the way why is it called
> spacer?  It doesn't appear to "space" anything.
>
> Well I just checked some other sources.  I now believe the
> Moss catalog is inacurate.  The
> spacer appears to not go in front of the fan as illustrated
> but instead between the fan and
> the pulley.  That makes sense.  There would be no point in a
> spacer on the front of the fan.
>
> Larry Hoy

        The spacer goes between the plastic fan and water pump when
originally fitted.  The diagram confusion in the Moss catalog goes back to
the factory original part book where many of these illustrations were
sourced.

        The spacer is about 1/2" thick and alloy.  I usually retrofit the
plastic fan to my vehicles as I have a number of used ones from my Austin
Marina days.  Not using the spacer gives a bit more clearance, and so far I
have not noticed a lack of cooling.

Kelvin.

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list