Re: Tie-rod end replacement

To: "Parenti, Mark" <MParenti@Pirus.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Tie-rod end replacement
From: "David Hill" <Davhill@btinternet.com>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 02:08:30 +0100
Hi, Mark.

> I'm replacing a tie-rod end on one of my '77Bs. I got the old one off just
> fine, but can't seem to get the new one tightened down. The nut for the
ball
> stud has a nylon insert and when it hits the threads the ball just spins.
> can't find a way to grab the ball to keep it from spinning. I know the
> steering knuckle is tapered, so I assume I need to do something like the
> reverse of the "pickle" operation I did to separate them to remove the old
> one. How does one get the new tie-rod end seated?

The answer is a to use a lever to apply a downward pressure on the tie
rod/rod end. Exactly where you lever depends on what you can find to lever
with but with the suspension on full droop, the steering arm isn't going to
go any lower but..
(a) don't go mad, you only need enough pressure to keep the pin from
turning.
(b) don't slip-you could damage the TREs rubber cuff.
(c) Once a thread has started to cut itself in the Nyloc insert, it will get
easier.

Related question - should any grease be applied the to ball stud before
putting it in the steering knuckle?

With a spinner like you have, a little spray grease or even oil after point
(c) is probably best. Otherwise, it'll just spin more.

> Thanks,

No probs-hope it helps

Dave H.
'72 BGT in Old York, UK