Re: Chronic Electrical Discharge

To: <wtsnyder@juno.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>, <jhilderbran@home.com>
Subject: Re: Chronic Electrical Discharge
From: "Michael Lupynec" <mlupynec@globalserve.net>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 10:57:46 -0400
Put a voltmeter on the batt while motor running and make sure the
charging is working in situ. Do a continuity test on the ign
switch (or make sure you got zero voltage at the coil with the
switch off)

OTW, somewhere you have a failing component or another switch. Or
a hot wire partially/intermittently grounded not enough to blow
the fuse. Put an ammeter in series between the batt cable and batt
post. A multimeter (direct DC selection) might handle the current
if very small, but be careful not to overload the specified max
range.

If you have discharge there should be a reading. (without ammeter,
you might detect a small spark when touching the post). If so,
then start disconnecting (isolating) various electrical subsystems
till the discharge disappears.

Mike L
60A,67E,59Bug