Re: Stainless braided brake lines--OK for street?

To: kgernert@triad.rr.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Stainless braided brake lines--OK for street?
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 11:09:47 EDT
kgernert@triad.rr.com writes:

> I've noticed that the catalog listings for stainless steel braided brake
> hoses
> usually say "for off-road use only".  My question is, why?  Is it just
> because
> they are so different from the original equipment hoses that they have not
> been
> (US) government approved?  Or do they cause the brakes to exhibit behavior
> that

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I think that many smaller companies don't have the resources to get DOT
approval for products like this.  I bought a set of SS braided brake hoses
for my Midget, from Moss, and it says they are DOT approved for street use.
The car passed PA inspection, so I am not worried about it.

Part of the problem is that state safety inspections require a visual
inspection of flexible brake hoses to see if they are cracked.  A visual
inspection is impossible with braided hoses, so it is difficult to receive
DOT approval.  Guess I'll just wait til they leak and then replace them!!!
;-)

(Insert standard brake system disclaimer here.)

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport