Re: LeMans Pre-Qualifying on Speedvision

To: Tomsaudi200@aol.com
Subject: Re: LeMans Pre-Qualifying on Speedvision
From: James Nazarian Jr <jamesnazarian@netzero.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 09:31:37 -0600
I think we're gonna get in trouble for this one.

I didn't catch that program but they were talking about it on Raceweek the
other night.  Bently may be a threat.  If I understood correctly, they will be
the only car running in GTP this year, this is the more power/ less tires/
enclosed version of LMP900 where Audi runs.  What this means is that they could
challenge for the overall.

Caddy is a little stuck at the moment because they are waiting for next year's
car.  Next year they will have an all new car that they hope will perform
better.  It is nice to see MG, and most in racing are happy about it, but they
are suffering from lack of engine development.  This isn't surprising since it
is the first attempt and they have said this is only a data acquisition year.

As for Audi, one of the privateer R8s split the factory cars in spring practice
so everyone is even more excited since it looks like the factory cars will have
a run for thier money from a privateer.

--
James Nazarian Jr
71 MGB roadster

A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have
   evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine.

On Tue, Jun 12, 2001 at 01:21:26AM -0400, Tomsaudi200@aol.com profoundly
declared:
> Hey, did anyone catch the LeMans pre-qualifying program tonight on
> Speedvision?
>
> Judging by the foliage on the trees, it looked like this was taped sometime
> in April, so I am not sure if Speedvision was replaying this or not. Anyhow,
> it was great to see some footage of the MG-Lola flying around the track.
>
> The commentator was certainly acknowledging how exciting it was that MG was
> returning to LeMans for the first time since 1965, but the film editors
> obviously saw different, as there was very little screen time for the
> MG-Lola. Instead, they predictably devoted a lot of camera time to the nearly
> invincible Audi R8. Another star was the Bentley, which in my opinion looks
> absolutely menacing and beautiful at the same time.  Aside from that, the
> rest was all about the Corvette's, Viper's, and 911's.
>
> In any case, it looks like this will be a very interesting race. Bentley is
> the closest threat to the Audi's. The lack of reliability of the MG-Lola has
> me a little concerned. Although Cadillac is back with a revised car, they
> continue to languish. I know they are working hard, but with GM's financial
> resources, they could easily fund the project well enough to build an
> Audi-Killer if they wanted to.
>
> As for the GT class, this is the weakest link of the whole race; it's all
> Porsche 911's and one Calloway Corvette. If I wanted to see just one kind of
> car in a class race, I'd be watching IROC. Yawn.
>
> Cheers,
> Tom

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list