Re: Stereo Question, (Little LBC)

To: "Scott Allen" <scottinarl@hotmail.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Stereo Question, (Little LBC)
From: "Jeff Fayne" <fayne@attglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 13:49:22 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: "Scott Allen" <scottinarl@hotmail.com>
To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Sent: Wednesday, June 20, 2001 12:51 PM
Subject: Stereo Question, (Little LBC)

> All,
>
> I installed a new stereo in my BGT yesterday, and I can't get the left
> speakers to work.
>
> Here's my question:
>
> Is there some way I can tell if the speakers are "live" using a volt-meter
> or circuit tester?  I was thinking with the staereo turned on the + wire
> would be hot?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Scott Allen
>
> 74 1/2 BGT
> 52 TD

An old trick is to connect a AA battery to the speaker wires (disconnected
from the stereo, of course). It should produce a small 'thump' if all is
well. The  1.5v that the battery puts out won't harm the speaker.
.
You can also determine speaker polarity this way, the correct polarity will
push the cone out. Make sure that both speakers are connected the same,
polarity wise, otherwise you'll get some weird phase distortion.

You could also set the volt-meter to the ohms setting and measure the
speaker coil resistance (8, 4, 2 ohms?? depending on speaker). Granted the
speaker is rated in impedance, but you should get close with the ohm meter.

On the stereo output, set your volt-meter to AC V. With the speakers
connected (some stereos don't like to run without a load), you should be
able measure the output.

I'm sure you checked, but verify that you don't have the balance set to one
side  :)

Jeff

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list