Re: 5 speed - why/Dan & Nina

To: "Nina Barton" <ninaba@mindspring.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 5 speed - why/Dan & Nina
From: "Dave Munroe" <dave@munroe.ca>
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2001 07:59:51 -0300
To Dan and Nina:

Well that should do it!

Two well-thought-out and beautifully expressed, albeit
highly subjective, opinions on the merits of stock over modern 5-speed
trannys.

You pays your money and take your choice.

But Dan, I think you may have short-changed the stock- with o/d transmission
just a little bit with regards to feel. I agree the gearshift is prone to
slop when worn, but what isn't? I rebuilt the shifter extension on my car
after years of "slopping" around, and can't believe how it transformed the
operation and feel of action.

You should add a well set-up stock transmission "feel" to your collection of
driving experiences so you  can incorporate that fact to your argument.

Thanks for the entertaining exchange to both of you.

Dave