Re: Hot brakes

To: wbrien@mediaone.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Hot brakes
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2001 09:01:05 EDT
In a message dated 06/29/2001 6:34:28 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
wbrien@mediaone.net writes:

> All I can figure is that the right rear brake got hung up somehow and then
> worked itself free again.  Or maybe it was the parking brake, although I
> know that I released it completely.  Not having had this problem before,
> though, I'm just speculating.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

You are probably correct that either the brake shoe got hung up (maybe a
broken spring), the parking brake cable stuck and freed itself, or possibly
the rear flex hose is starting to collapse.

Take off the drum and check the general condition of the brakes.  If they are
covered with brake dust and gunk, and the shoes are worn, it is time to take
everything apart, clean it with Hogwash brake cleaner (order it from Ed at
justbrits@home.com) and put it all back together with new shoes and springs.
Check the cylinders for leaks and replace if they look suspicious.  Rear
brake parts are very inexpensive and they last a long time, so don't skimp.

If you have not replaced the flex hoses in a long time, buy a set, replace
them all, and flush the old brake fluid out.  New fluid every 2 or 3 years is
a good thing.

Lube the entire parking brake cable and check for proper operation.

Since there is basically nothing else that could be wrong, if you did all of
the above, you will not have the same problem again for a while.

One last caution - If you are not confident in your mechanical abilities,
brakes are NOT a good place to learn.  Learn how to make the car go, but MAKE
SURE the car can STOP!

Safety Fast!

Allen Hefner
Philly Region SCCA Rally Steward