Re: 5 Speed - Where Does It End?

To: <WSpohn4@aol.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 5 Speed - Where Does It End?
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kmr@pil.net>
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2001 16:08:58 -0400
Bill Spohn wrote:

> I'd beg to disagree on this point. Use of the OD in lower gears might be
> useful on the street (I used to use 2nd OD in my TR3 to avoid going up to
3rd
> for traffic), but the sizing of the OD components is not such as to allow
> that use in competition without ripping up the friction surfaces.

Well like I had said, those interested in using the OD in competition are
strongly advised to read my post concerning the Medina Motorsports mods that
I wrote some time ago.  The main modification is the replacement of the
stock friction material with the material used on Laycock's P-type ODs,
found in Rolls Royces, Bentleys, and their industrial products.  It can take
as much torque as you can throw at it.

Of course my statement about competition was in general regard to all forms
of vintage competition... sprints, rally, autocross, circuit/club racing,
etc.  I find it particularlly useful when autocrossing as I no longer have
to move my hand off the steering wheel when I want to change up, but not a
full gear.

Kai

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list