Re: test for temp gauge

To: wtkilleffer@yahoo.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: test for temp gauge
From: JERTIGGER2@cs.com
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2001 15:16:11 EDT
In a message dated 7/1/01 12:33:03 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
wtkilleffer@yahoo.com writes:

> Hello listers,
> I'm having trouble with my temp gauge. It's the only gauge that doesn't work
> now. It moves all the way to hot very quickly after I've started driving the
> car. There is nothing else to suggest to me that the recently rebuilt (600
> miles) engine is overheating. The sending unit on the engine looks pretty
> new, but could be wrong. How do I test the gauge and sending unit? If the
> gauge proves faulty, what would you recommend I do?
> Thanks,
> William Killeffer

I had the same problem on my Europa, the wire going to the sending unit was
grounded causing full movement of the gauge, plus my sending unit was also
bad. Disconnect the wire from gauge that goes to the sending unit, Connect an
ohm meter lead to that wire and the other lead to ground, disconnect the wire
at the sending unit.
You should read infinity or no continuity at all, if you do the wire is
shorted to ground.

Next connect an ohm meter lead to the sending unit, wire disconnected, and
the other lead to ground, if you read very low resistance with the water cold
the sending unit is bad.

Remove the sending unit from engine and put in a pan and slowly heat the pan
while reading resistance. Should start out high IIRR it should be above 200
ohms and will be down to less than 50 hot.
My resistance may be a little off, but the procedure is the same.

Jerry Rein

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list