Legal Roll Bar that Allows Use of MGB Convertible Top

To: "MG Digest" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Legal Roll Bar that Allows Use of MGB Convertible Top
From: "N" <twobees@sprynet.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2001 10:25:55 -0400
A while ago, someone on the list asked me to provide photos of my SCCA-spec
roll bar for vintage racing over which I use both factory hardtop & regular
softtop.  I now have those photos available along with photos of the stock
tonneau cover I had modified to fit around the roll bar.  The only piece of
the roll bar that doesn't work with the tonneau is the front diagonal bar
that bolts in from the center of the roll bar hoop to a steel 3-sided box in
the far right corner of the passenger footwell.  That would require further
modification to the tonneau & since I only use that bar when racing, I
haven't done that (yet).

The bar itself is welded to large plates at the 4 mounting points.  The
diagonal rear brace bolts into a 3-sided box of heavy steel welded into the
right rear corner of the rear "shelf."  All bolts are Grade 8.

The tonneau was modified to my specs by a local upholstery shop.  I marked
the tonneau with china marker where cuts had to be made.  (I experimented
with an old tonneau to get them right.)  He then made the cuts, sewed off
all edges, bound the holes that fit around the bars & sewed on the velcro
closures.  Wish I could remember the cost.  But, I don't.  It may have been
around $75.

If you need any of these photos, please email me off-list.  Although, I may
have them on a web site in a couple of days.

Norm Sippel
'66 MGB

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list