MGA's, 5 speed, OD, et.Al

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: MGA's, 5 speed, OD, et.Al
From: Phil Bates <jello@ida.net>
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2001 22:27:53 -0600
Here's an off the wall comment.  I have a '67 MGB (5 main with
overdrive), and it is a great highway cruiser with the OD.  I also have
a '58 MGA with a 3 main 1800 B motor (and oddly enough a 1500 head).  I
too had to rebuild my transmission.  No big deal on that, it is easy for
the somewhat mechanically inclined.  Further, the driveshaft on the
early MGA's is much different than a B driveshaft.  Anyhow, the point is
that I had an excessive amount of acceleration, but not much top end.
So I changed the rear axle ratio to early MGB's ratio (I think that is
3.909 vs stock at something like 4.55).  Now the A is a very nice
highway cruiser too, and it was a simple unbolt one, bolt in the other.
Overdrive would be nice, but it isn't really needed - the car is noisy
no matter what you do - it only has one muffler, not two like the B.  It
turns someting like 4000 at 75mph (the speed limit here), and that gives
it plenty of passing power, and good fuel economy (I get 18 city, 30
freeway - guess I should change needles, but the acceleration is really
nice).

Anyone need stock MGA rear axle parts??  I have the spare pumpking and
shafts, and they are in good shape.

Phil Bates
'67 MGB with overdrive
'58 MGA 1800 with 3.909 rear axle ratio.
Misc. other european cars - none american, none japanese

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list