RE: Which 5 speed?

To: "'Larry Hoy'" <larryhoy@prodigy.net>
Subject: RE: Which 5 speed?
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2001 17:07:59 -0700
> The Toyota (Supra I believe), what's the skinny on this
> tranny?  I don't
> know anything about it, except that transmission is used in many
> different custom applications.  It must be very strong too, because I
> believe there are kits for it to be used behind the big Jaguar V12 and
> straight 6.

Larry:

        I just purchased a Toyota Supra trans to install in my 66 Jaguar
3.8S.  Delivered it ran just over $400.00 as a low miles Japanese import.
The bellhousing is seperate and the front and rear cases peel away from the
gear cluster allowing very easy examination and seal replacement.  The trans
is rated to handle in excess of 300HP, so will work well behind the Jag 6.
I have also seen an installation in a TR3 that looked very tidy.  It is a
bit big to go in the MGA or B, and overkill for the power output.
        I'm doing the beta testing on the install and will have to do quite
a lot of fabrication.  The 5 speed is replacing a Borg Warner DG250 auto
trans.  I do have a MOD trans, but even the later Jag 4 synch box is slow
shifting compared to the modern transmissions.

Kelvin.

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list