Re: 5 Speed - Why?

To: MG Listserver <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 5 Speed - Why?
From: Chris Attias <cattias@cats.ucsc.edu>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2001 12:14:54 -0700
>At 8:22 AM -0600 7/3/01, WSpohn4@aol.com wrote:
>>One question no one has addreessed yet (I asked it awhile back). If it is
>>OK to swap in a different gearbox because it is better, more modern, etc.,
>>what is the difference between that and swapping to a more modern engine
>>for exactly the same reasons.>

"Modern" an oxymoron when talking about manual gearboxes.  A modern
engine, complete with engine management computer and fuel
injection >is quite a different matter.  An engine that doesn't leak
oil would
be totally inappropriate in an LBC...

Another rationalization/tradition for swapping is as old as the
British car business itself.  Most British cars are indeed parts bin
wonders, from powertrains to switchgear, mostly dependent on cost and
availability.  The most classic example is the Chapman-era Lotus.
And the "Special" is enshrined in LBC lore--witness the legion of
Sevens and Fords postwar.  The US has that same tradition in hotrods,
kit cars and racers (witness the variety at any Vintage race .)

Me-- I gotta say mixing Ford and Chevy parts crosses the line...

Chris Attias
Aptos, CA
'64 MGB

///