Re: Carbs

To: Bud Krueger <bkrueger@ici.net>
Subject: Re: Carbs
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2001 21:40:07 -0600
At 09:53 PM 7/3/01 -0400, Bud Krueger wrote:
>David,
>
>      It's my impression that the 'twelve flats' is counted from the
> setting at
>which the jet is flush with the bridge, rather than with the adjusting nut all
>the way up.
>
>Bud Krueger

Bud,

I was sure that it was the nut all the way up for the starting position,
and that is how I have been doing it for the past 25 years. Although when I
did my last carb rebuild on a set of HS6s for a TR7, I set the jet flush
with the bridge with the nuts turned all the way up, making both
measurements essentially the same.

But I had to check the Haynes manual to see their word and it was:
"screw up the jet adjusting nut until the jet is flush with the bridge of
the carburetor (or fully up if this position cannot be attained)."

So you are correct. But then I thought the jet was supposed to be flush
with the bridge when the nut was all the way up or it should be set that
way to start with. And when I adjust the mixture, I rarely pull off the
(top) dashpot. It tells from my note - I'm telling Bill to look at the jet
from the bottom - it sounds like he should take off the dashpot and see
where his jet is sitting with his nuts all the way up. My guess is that
they will not be flush at all - maybe even off by a fair bit.

David

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list