Re: Warped front discs

To: "Bullwinkle" <yd3@nvc.net>, "Eric" <eric@erickson.on.net>
Subject: Re: Warped front discs
From: "Dave Munroe" <dave@munroe.ca>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 12:08:02 -0300
For what its worth, brake rotor warping is a perennial problem for many
vehicles using original parts as well as aftermarket units. BMW in
particular can't seem to make their replacement rotors last more than 10 or
15k (even though the originals *usually* go 50 or 60k.

Intuitively, brake rotor material needs to be more chemically 'pure" than
the average metal part, considering the tolerances that must be maintained
to avoid brake pedal pulsing under heavy use. The continuous heating/cooling
cycles have to be a difficult condition for the metallurgical engineers to
conquer.The usual fix is to go get them "turned', which is a short-term
solution at best, as now you are dealing with a thinner and more susceptible
to failure part.

As was mentioned previously, improper tightening sequence and too much
torque will often contribute to disk, (and wheel) warping, depending on the
wheel hub/disc design. Its a wise owner who insists on proper wheel
tightening using a torque wrench in a criss/cross pattern to avoid these
difficulties.

Dave