Tranny oil change

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tranny oil change
From: "Craig D. Niederst" <niederst@telerama.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 23:51:46 -0400
Since I have the passenger side floor pan out of the '71 B, it seemed like
an ideal time to change the tranny oil (and also the emergency brake cable).
The oil the I drained out was a nasty thick mess (~ 2 qts), and had a
green-tannish color to it (and stunk real bad). My B, although a pre-'75
model, has a late side fill non-OD tranny fitted. Fill capacity is listed at
3 quarts in my manuals, but I have read in the archives in several posts
that the side fill trannies should be filled until oil runs out of the side
fill plug. I pumped 4 qts of 20W50 into the tranny, and it has not yet
reached the point that it runs out the side. Should I continue to add until
oil comes out of the fill hole, or is this incorrect (and thus requiring me
to drain 1 qt out of the tranny). TIA.

Craig
'71 B

///