Re: Tranny installation

To: "COSTICH,ALAN (Non-HP-USA,ex1)" <alan_costich2@non.hp.com>,
Subject: Re: Tranny installation
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 10:43:03 -0600
The factory or standard way is to remove and replace the engine and tranny
as one unit. But you can remove just the engine as you did. You need to
support the tranny after the engine is removed, which you probably already
did. The fun part is getting the engine back in.

I did this once and it took about half a day of wrestling the engine to get
it to line up just right to mate with the transmission pilot shaft. But it
was my first time. Now I know better. Just drop in the engine but just far
enough forward to get the transmission and engine almost in alignment. Use
three or four very large 5/16" bolts to pull the two together straight -
tightening them in patterns so the rear engine plate to transmission gap
stays consistent all the way around. Once its close, pull out the bolts and
use the standard 3-4 inch long ones to tighten it back together. Piece of cake.

David
67 BGT
72 B

At 07:51 AM 7/17/2001 -0700, COSTICH,ALAN (Non-HP-USA,ex1) wrote:
>Had to yank the motor out my 68 bgt last night. Spun a bearing. Decided to
>try pulling the motor sans tranny for a change. Well, it can be done. Now,
>I'm pretty sure it won't go back in the same way. I have an extended sump
>that won't easily clear the front cross member. I was attempting to avoid
>the struggle of bolting up the rear tranny mount. Guess I'll have to drop
>the tranny anyway.
>
>So, the question is, how was it done in the factory? I can't believe they
>had to struggle like we do to get motor/tranny bolted up at the rear.
>
>Anyone got any suggestions or has anyone found any slick and easy way to get
>this done?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Alan

///