carb conversion dilemma

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: carb conversion dilemma
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 16:42:43 -0600
I'm in the final phases of a carb conversion. Not a standard one and that
is where the problem lies.

The car is a 65 MGB with an 18V engine (from a 72 but the number indicates
a later block). We are switching the HIF carbs (also from a 72) with the
HS4 carbs that probably were originally with the 65.

The problem is with the crankcase breather if I'm using the correct term.
On the 70s models, this tube has a Y-splitter that splits the one tube into
two which connect to ports on the sides of the SU carbs. The older SU carbs
do not have these ports. Instead, the tube connects to the PCV valve that
goes into the intake manifold.

I'm inclined to plug this tube off. Can I do this? Or do I need a vacuum on
the line?

In short, any one else encounter this problem and if so, how did you handle it?

David

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list