Wheel bearing,HELP!

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Wheel bearing,HELP!
From: "Mark and kathy LaPierre" <mgtrcars@galaxyinternet.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 23:04:55 -0500
Hi Listers,
    May I throw one by you wizards of the MG world.   First of all I almost
forgot how much fun rebuilding a "B" front end can be.  Those of you that
have recently listed coil spring , bushing, kingpin problems,  I feel your
pain.  I can almost expect the left side suspension to take another week to
complete. Well hopefully this won't have to be done again for a long, long
time. Now my questions. And all kingpins and bushings are new with rebushed
stub axles.

- Is there a torque for the lower bolt on the king pin( please don't tell me
about the friggin end float is suppose to be .008 to .013) I can't get a
feeler gauge in there for nothing. Just give me a torque and let me stick my
cotter pin in the hole and move on. (sorry,,,, I'm better now)

- Top king pin bolt torque?

-I did a complete stub axle  and king pin change over,complete.  Wheel
bearings were new with brake job last year so I am reusing them.  One
problem, the out side bearing will not go on the newer stub axle.  It slides
right on and off the old stub axle. Whats a flustered MGeneer to do here.
The only difference I can see is that the old axle is shinny and the new one
looks dull( but very clean and no burrs or rust) it just seems to be a hair
too big for the bearing, even when I hit it with a hammer( JUST KIDDING, but
I sure wanted to) Slight pressure, wiggling back and forth,lubricated, dry,
gave no satisfactory results. This is where I finally closed up shop for the
night knowing that I would get total results from
"THE LIST".

Is this an area where a little bit of heat could help or not?

-Can somebody please recommend a high temp. wheel bearing grease that
doesn't smell like rear end fluid.  This stuff gives me a head ache and the
smell lingers for hours. The name I'm using is from Coastal, never again.

And actually everythingelse went back together pretty well. Slow but well.

Thanks, Mark

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list