Re: Wheel bearing,HELP!

To: "Mark and kathy LaPierre" <mgtrcars@galaxyinternet.net>,
Subject: Re: Wheel bearing,HELP!
From: <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 19:30:57 +0100
The inners of the bearings should be an easy sliding fit on the stub axle,
the outers are a press-fit in the hub.  The inners are prevented from
spinning on the stub axle by a distance tube, shims, washer and nut.  The
shims are to enable the correct torque to be applied to the nut (and hence
the bearing inners) - 40 to 70 lb ft - whilst still leaving the correct
end-float in the bearings themselves - .002in to .004in.

If your bearings won't slide on your stub axle then either the bearings are
too small or the axle is too large.  Maybe a PO had the axle shaved down so
incorrect bearings would fit.

PaulH.