Re: Cupro-Nickel Brake Lines

To: prsmith@ns.sympatico.ca (preston smith),
Subject: Re: Cupro-Nickel Brake Lines
From: Barrie Robinson <barrier@bconnex.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 09:02:57 -0400
Preston,

Strange!  I once looked into this question in Ontario.  The DoT (Federal?)
regulations did NOT mention the material used but they had strict pressure
burst, etc, standards.  They said it mattered not whether   you used
copper, copper-nickel, steel, etc etc just as long as it met the
specifications.  Check the wording of your regulations.  If Nova Scotia has
these funny regs then you will have a problem with new Astons,  Merc's,
Morgans, and many other new cars using copper-nickel lines.  No one seems
to remember that steel replaced copper lines because of expense not
mechanical properties. Also no one remembers that copper was frowned on by
many mechanics because they burst - which is not surprising as they used
piping from Canadian Tire - not the real auto grade stuff (well hell it
looked the same!) Most restored cars in UK and in Ontario use Cu-Ni pipes !!!

At 07:11 PM 7/26/01 -0300, preston smith wrote:
>Kelvin!
>
>I live in Nova Scotia, Canada.  Nova Scotia, like many Canadian provinces,
>does not recognize cupro-nickel as being a suitable material for brake
>lines.  A number of us are trying to get this ruling changed so that our
>vehicles will be able to pass the annual safety related Motor Vehicle
>Inspection.
>
>Are there any minimum standards that your brake lines must meet before you
>get them from your suppliers?  Does Moss ask the suppliers to cite what
>standards the cupro-nickel lines must meet?  Does Moss have copies of these
>standards that I can get my hands on?  Alternatively, do you know where I
>can find these standards.
>
>As it stands now, any LBC with cupro-nickel lines can not be safety
>certified so we badly need these standards (the governing standards and the
>product's compliance with these standards)
>
>Anything you can do to help will be much appreciated by NS LBC owners.
>
>Preston
>
>Betti Ann & Preston Smith
>Head of St Margaret's Bay, NS
>prsmith@ns.sympatico.ca