RE: Cupro-Nickel Brake Lines

To: "'prsmith@ns.sympatico.ca'" <prsmith@ns.sympatico.ca>, CraigFaubel@aol.com,
Subject: RE: Cupro-Nickel Brake Lines
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 17:15:40 -0700
> Craig -
>
> I think Barry said it all.  The implications of an accident
> claim being
> denied by my using known faulty materials scare the hell out
> of me in this
> sue happy world.
>
> Preston

Guys:

        Before you get too far.  The Cupro Nickel lines I believe are the
same type of material specified by Volvo for their passenger cars.

        It's not a question of "known faulty materials".  It is a question
of whether a particular material has been tested and passes governmental
requirements.

        Quartz Halogen headlights were not "faulty" back in the 70s.  But
they did not meet North American Department of Transport requirements, and
were therefore illegal.  Didn't stop a lot of us enthusiasts using em tho'.
;)

        I don't know if the cupro-nickel lines will meet the Canadian
Governmental requirements.  Corrosion resistance and burst resistance are
greater than the original materials.  Certainly much better than cleaned up,
used lines.

        Next week I'll try to come up with the specs supplied by the
manufacturer when we first started to carry the product.
        Straight copper lines were used for many years in the UK by the
restoration community.  The cupro-nickel ones were created to meet Federal
DOT standards which I think required a more rigid crush resistant line.

Kelvin Dodd.

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list