Re: New to List - Questions about MGA

To: mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: New to List - Questions about MGA
From: R C Engelhardt <hardt@sonic.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2001 19:17:55 -0700
Congratulations Peter! Looks like a real diamond in the rough. I live
fairly near you in Santa Rosa and AFAIK there are no clubs in the
immediate area. I met with a group of fellow british car owners last
Saturday (only MG there) to discuss the possibility of setting up some
kind of a club here. We are planning to meet again in the next month or
so. Call or email your phone number and I'll let you know where and
when. If there's anyone else on the list who's interested in a wine
country british club please contact me!

Ron Engelhardt
58 MGA
Santa Rosa, Ca.
707 539-4156

Peter Guagenti wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> I'm new to the list, and _very_ new to LBC's.  I just picked up a
> long-sitting '62 MGA.  It's been neglected, it's ugly, but it's complete.  I
> haven't checked to see if the engine is seized yet (I spent all day cleaning
> out animal nests and rotted carpeting), or how she is mechanically.  Check
> out pics at:
>
> http://www.guagenti.com/MGA/DSC00004.JPG
> http://www.guagenti.com/MGA/DSC00005.JPG
>
> On the good side, it's complete as far as I can tell.  The tires took air,
> and the car rolled freely.  On top of all that, the former owner had a trunk
> (umm, I mean "boot") full of brand new parts.
>
> The questions I have are:
>
> - Is there a book that gives good instruction for a ground-up restoration on
> a car like this?  The more detailed and step-by-step the better, as this is
> my first older car.
>
> - With what little research I've done, it would seem that this car is a 1600
> Mark II DeLuxe.  It has 4-wheel disk brakes and an oil cooler.  Can anyone
> verify that, or give me advice on how I can figure it out?
>
> - Are there good clubs I can join in Northern California?  I work in SF, and
> live about 10 minutes from Sears Point? :-)
>
> - Any tips for a new owner?  I tune and race a '95 BMW M3 (auto-x, track
> events, etc), so this is a whole new world for me...
>
> Any help is appreciated.
>
> Regards,
>
> - peterg

///