RE: Vacation MG Sightings

To: The MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Vacation MG Sightings
From: &mem;&resh;&tet;&yod;&fnun; &resh;&vav;ℷ&vav;&bet;&yod;&fnun;
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2001 16:30:02 +0200
Well, back to the original topic of the thread . . .

We (my wife and I ) just got back from a month-long trip up and down the
west coast, and then 9 days in Hawaii.
Wonderful trip, thanks for asking.

LBC sightings:
Tucson AZ - two guys driving a CB midget REALLY fast down a long, straight
desert road.  Top down in 110 degree weather.

Jenner (?) California - on the side of Hwy 1, precariously perched on the
shoulder on a cliff next to the sea - a CB midget, so rusted that you could
see the carbs through the hood (bonnet).  Looked like it hadn't moved in
years.  about 10 yards away was a Porsche 356, in only slightly better
condition.

Avenue of the giants, California - came around a corner and spotted a small
general store awash in beautiful LBCs.  An RBB, 2 CBB's, one midget, an A-H
3000, a pristine Jag e-type, several TR6's and a TR3, and a few other
goodies.  It was an informal LBC group out of Eureka, CA, just out for a
sunday drive.  All were very nice and friendly people, glad to talk cars and
anything else with an enthusiast from the other side of the world.

San Francisco - a nice looking Yellow RBB parked (on the street) in the
'high-rent' district.

Seattle - a primer grey BGT (driven by a little old man in a tweed cap) that
we just couldn't keep up with in traffic, no matter how hard we tried.
We also passed a small british mechanic (on hwy 98?) that had an entire lot
full of interesting finds.  He was just showing off an Italian-bodied TR4
that was supposedly a design study for the TR6.  Interesting looking car -
kind of a british ferrari meld.

Honolulu - one RBB in pretty good shape, cruising the main drag in Waikiki.
And something that looke d like a TD from a distance, and more like a kit
car on a VW chassis when you got close.

Lahina, Maui - a faded yellow RBB with the top caved in and clothing on
hangers hanging from the top frame.  But, it was in a restaurant parking lot
and looked like it was at least mobile.

Hana, Maui - a CB midget, in rust and primer, parked in a driveway.  Licence
plate:  'Toy Car"

Kauai - one rather sad wire-wheeled RBB parked at a gas station.  rusted,
but perhaps salvagable.
At this point, my wife was getting pretty sick of me bouncing up and down
and cheering MGB! MGB! at every spotting.
So, when we took a side road into a small neighborhood populated by locals,
and I said
"This looks like the kind of neighborhood that would have an MGB, she gave
me 'the look.'"
Sure enough, not 10 seconds later, there was one very sad RBB, parked in the
grass on the edge of somebody's property.
This one was so rusty that the front end had actually collapsed, and there
were bits of engine and suspension poking up through the hood.

I couldn't help noticing that all of the MGs in Hawaii, running or not, were
rubber bumpers.  Apparently the CB's have either been hidden away, or have
just plain rusted away.

Its kind of sad to see as many ruined cars as I saw runners, but personally
I am intrigued by the visual poignancy of a rusted away car.  Am I alone in
this, or are others also drawn to the ruined hulks that were once
interesting cars, not seeing parts (gee, maybe I could still use that bit of
trim) or a project, but simply a piece of once-functional art whose time has
passed?  Philosophical (or other) comments welcome.

Oh, yeah, we flew through Heathrow on the way back, and I could swear that I
saw a Canary Yellow CBB in the airport parking lot as we were landing.
My wife is convinced by now that I have completely lost what little sanity I
may have had.

To sum up, I saw at least one MG everywhere I went.
For me, that means it was a good trip.
I'll let you guys know if I ever manage to get the relevant pictures scanned
and online.

When your top is down, you're ALWAYS on vacation.
R. Martin
Tel Aviv Israel
70 roadster (Cartman)

///