RE: Vacation MG Sightings...

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Vacation MG Sightings...
From: "Greg Bass" <gregbass@atlantadental.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 08:41:07 -0400
I'm late as usual but connectivity problems this weekend prevented replying
sooner.

I am in total disagreement with the statements below. There is no one "point
of having a convertable". Everyone buys a car for different reasons.
Convertable or no convertable. We also drive with the top up or down for
different reasons. I live in Atlanta GA and I drove the B (pre-engine probs)
with the top up on many a summer's day. Why? Because (1) the seats get too
hot to touch (much less sit in) when the sun is up and the temp reaches the
90's daily (2) To keep my head from frying and brain from resembling that
"This is your brain, This is you brain on drugs commercial" from the heat.
(3) you can't "speed up" to increase the wind to cool you down becuase of
traffic. (4) My newspaper would blow away and I would get ticketed for
littering. (5) It gives a bit more "cover" when checking out the sometimes
lovely ladies sitting in traffic next to me (6) It makes it more difficult
for the police to see my beer :) Oooppps probably shouldn't mention that
one!!! Ok I made the last one up, but you get my point.

Sometimes what you perceive as stupid, in reality might be done for a very
practical reason. And as for it being a safety hazard as mentioned in
someone elses reply all I can the top is the least of my worries if invlved
in an accident. After all, your driving a little tiny thing compared to the
multitude of behemoth like SUVs, pick 'um ups, 18 wheelers etc. on the road
with your LBC

Greg
'78 B --- Still in need of engine rebuild
'93 Buick ---- 180,000+ miles and still going strong
'85 Blazer ---- usually has a bunch of mud on it's lovely Black on Black
finish
'99 Craftmans Riding Lawnmower --- What can you say? Top always down!! :-P

> Everyone seems to be forgetting the point of having a
> convertable. The top is
> in case it starts to rain. Under any other circumstance, the
> top should be
> down. Driving a convertible with the top up is the stupidest
> thing that I
> have ever seen. Leave the top up only if you are over the age
> of eighty.
> Otherwise, if it gets hot, just speed up, and let the wind
> cool you down.
>
> Mint '73 MGB
> (always going topless)

///