Re: Car Not Starting

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Car Not Starting
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 15:58:13 EDT
In a message dated 8/13/01 3:50:34 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
jesse@crka-architects.com writes:

> Do you mean the wire from the negative on the battery to the frame of the
> car?  If yes, I replaced it with new and sanded that little piece welded to
> the car.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Nope.  There is a grounding strap that connects from the engine block to the
frame of the car.  This allows the voltage to return from the engine.  If
that strap is missing or bad (insulated by dirt) the engine is basically
isolated, electrically, from the battery.  Power will find another route back
in most cases, but not a very favorable route.  Sometimes the power goes back
by way of the throttle cable or the fuel line.

Get underneath and look for a webbed (usually) strap, usually near the front
of the engine.  It goes to a bolt on a frame member.  It may be difficult to
find if it fell off!  I have a '77 Midget and it was in the front, hanging
off the engine, just about to break!

Good luck,

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward