Re: ugly pugly

To: Charley & Peggy Robinson <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Subject: Re: ugly pugly
From: Larry Colen <lrcar@red4est.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 10:03:41 -0700
On Wed, Aug 15, 2001 at 05:13:26AM -0700, Charley & Peggy Robinson wrote:
>   You were lucky.  When I do that kind of work I put all 4 corners on
> stands.  Easier to work that way and it's not going anywhere.

When I jacked it up last night I thought about that. If it's up on
four jacks, exactly the same thing would happen. It would be on top of
four footlong levers.  Basically a rectangle can collapse into a
parallelagram, but by blocking the rear wheels it is now a triangle.

I had been cranking on that nut pretty hard. I had torqued it down to
95 lb-ft with the assembly lube, so I wouldn't be surprised if I could
put well over 100 lb-ft on it without breaking it loose, possibly even
200, and my breaker bar was only about a foot long. I'm reaonably
strong and I was cranking on it with all of my strength.

>   How long had those plugs been in the engine?

It's possible that they've been in for as long as 5,000 miles. That
was the last note that I had on something where I *know* that I had
pulled them.

By  the way, there isn't any performance disadvantages to going with
the BPR6ES rather than the BP6ES plugs is there?  I figure that with
my Pertronix and Mallory I can oomph my way through a little extra
resistance. The store was out of the BP6ES's last night.

I wish I could bail on work today, at about 12:30 I had finished
putting the bearings in, but still need to put the pan back on, and I
want to change from the spin on that comes in from the top (and blocks
the distributor) to one that comes in from the bottom and (and blocks
the starter).

I've also been having trouble with an oil leak around my dipstick.
apparently there are two types of dipsticks and dipstick tubes and the
dipstick that matches the dipstick tube I have needs a rubber boot,
and the other sort won't seal well with it.

   Larry

--
     I can't go back and change time, but I can make up for lost time.

///