Re: Twin cam engine

To: "rui gigante" <rgigante@oninet.pt>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Twin cam engine
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 14:40:58 -0500
At 04:36 PM 8/17/2001 +0100, rui gigante wrote:
>in my search for a MG, I've found a couple of twin cam models, apparently
original, besides the engine .... one 1600 and one 1622.

>Anyone have the experience (good or bad) of finding a complete twin cam
engine? ....

The Twin Cam MGA is worth about $10,000 more than the other MGA models, and
it's all in the engine.  Without the twin cam engine the Twin Cam MGA is
worth about the same as any other MGA, and a twin cam engine by itself in
restoreable condition is worth about $10,000.  This phenominon is the
result of a severe shortage of twin cam engines.  In years past many twin
cam engines were removed in favor of pushrod engine transplants.  Some of
those engine were lost or tossed.  Some vintage racers have bought up one
or two loose twin cam engine for spares for their race cars.  So today you
end up bidding against the racers for the few twin cam engines still left
in circulation.  If you really want a Twin Cam MGA (with the correct
engine), try to buy one with the engine in it.  Otherwise you should
seriously try to find a twin cam engine before you buy the car without one.

$.02,

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
    http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg