Re: 76B, shuddering at 52 (mph, not age)

To: WCAMEYER@email.msn.com, saidel@camden.rutgers.edu, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 76B, shuddering at 52 (mph, not age)
From: "Tuck Southworth" <tsouthworth70@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 17:12:27 -0400
>This is a common occurrence with less-than-perfect wire wheels.
>
>Bill

It may well be a common occurrence with wires but don't let that stop you
from crawling under your car and giving your front suspension a total
inspection.  Last week I took my 70 B up to Brattleboro VT and experienced
the exact same problem.  Had the wheels balanced but still felt the shudder
in the steering wheel.  I stopped to take another look and found not one but
two of the bolts holding the right side lower wishbone arm to the spring pan
had loosen up.  Not good.  I put in new lock washers and tighten them up.
Still don't have a clue as to how they could have become so loose.  Just
glad I decided not to wait until I got home to check it out.
That's my story.
Tuck Southworth
70 B
55 TF