Re: MGA engine Transplant

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGA engine Transplant
From: Dave Quirt <quirt@sk.sympatico.ca>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 19:59:00 -0600
The so-called 'clearance problem' with the later all-synchro gearbox
(with or without OD) in a '62-'67 B is really a non-issue. The later
gearbox does fit, although with less clearance than in the later cars.
Ditto with the Salisbury rear axle in the earlier banjo-axled cars.

The 18V is no different to install in a MGA than any of the 18Gx
engines. Like Bill noted, the later 18V engines are castrated versions
of the earlier engines and the combined single-carb intake/exaust
manifold won't fit well, if at all, in a MGA. The dual-carb MGB exhaust
manifold will fit into the MGA but its mounting flange may have to be
slightly angle-milled so that the manifold will clear the MGA steering
column. Don't use a MGA exhaust manifold as the B item flows much
better. If one doesn't mind more marginal cooling, one can use the MGA
water pump on the B motor for rad clearance. The early MGB starter
(3-main and 5-main 18G-18GB) will also work in the MGA with only
occasional fitting issues - sometimes it will fit tightly but ok,
sometimes some work needs to be done to get it to fit.

The all-synchro g'box size makes the transplant into a MGA troublesome,
but not impossible by any means. The gearshift remote will be the
biggest issue with the all-synchro g'box, since (as Bill suggested) some
hammer will work wonders for clearances elsewhere. But a new tranny
tunnel carpet will hide the evidence!!! Myself, I used a 3-main 18G
engine and non-synchro OD g'box in my A coupe because it is
'essentially' a drop in transplant - relatively speaking.

Dave Q.

> From Bill Spohn:
>
>> Blake wrote:
>> The car is a 1500 so I thought the power would be about the
>> same.  The replacement engine came from a low mileage wreck and
>> all of the emission stuff is gone as is the carb.  Since the
>> engine has been sitting for 20 years and parts are missing, I
>> suggested that they try to back date the engine to about 1967.
>> This is possible isn't it?  I told them of the difficulties with
>> the exhaust manifold, water pump, starter, and gear shift
>> remote.  I don't have a B, but from what I've read these are all
>> problems in fitting the 18V engine to an MGA.
>
> Blake:
> The MGA 1500 had 72 bhp, the single carb Bs had only 8:1 compression and 65
>bhp.<
>
> When I say they were Marina engines, it is because they were. Single timing
>chain single carb generic engines with not one iota of sporting character.
>Total piece of crap, IMHO.<
>
> Toss the pistons, cam, timing gears and chain, and single valve springs and
>replace them with early parts and install twin carbs and early exhaust, and it
>is true that you get back to the early spec. But why bother when you can start
>with an early engine for a couple of hundred bucks and go from there?<
>
> I do not know offhand if there is a clearance problem with the all synch box
>in the MGA as there is in early B's, but I suspect nothing that some judicious
>'tapping' with a suitably sized hammer wouldn't remedy.<

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list