Update generator to alternator?

To: "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Update generator to alternator?
From: "Jerry Causey" <jcausey@whidbey.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2001 17:32:32 -0800
This question isn't actually about an LBC, but the answer should
be the same. I have an older Little German Car which has a volt
meter installed. I just replaced the DOT standard sealed beam
head lamps with a pair of E-code halogen head lamps, with 60/55
watt H4 bulbs . At road speed (about 2800 RPM), when I turn on
the new head lamps, the voltage reading plunges from about 13.5
volts to just over 12 volts. Is this an indication that my generator is
not keeping up with the demand, and would replacing it with an
alternator help out?

Thanks,
Jerry Causey

///