Low oil pressure after rebuild

To: "'MG Mail list'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Low oil pressure after rebuild
From: dennis <mg-dennis@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 09:10:29 -0700
A friend of mine has been rebuilding his 67 B engine.  The engine has
had the crank turned, rods reconditioned, new pistons, reground cam, new
timing gears and chain, new oil pump, valve job and rebuilt rocker
assembly. etc. etc.  All new parts.  This last weekend when we started
it for the first time it only showed 20 lbs of oil pressure and after
about 10 minutes of running it went down to about 15 lbs. We shut it
off.  At this point I'm not sure how to go about diagnosing it.  I
suggested pulling the engine and start dissecting it to find the fault.
My friend is cringing about doing this cause he has spent so many hours
on it already.  Some of the things that we discussed was what we can do
to the engine in the car.  Can a faulty bypass valve be the problem?  He
put in a new uprated spring.  Is it possible that something with the
filter head or even a filter can cause low pressure?  What would be the
steps be to diagnosing this?  What would you check first and what would
you check working your way back from that?

Thanx..

Dennis..
67 MGB
Helping Chuck with his 67 MGB...